The Woes of Worldliness

 

Josiahs Scott, Josiahs@trueconnection.org, www.TrueConnection.org

2/28/08; 8/20/09; 2/5/10; 8/27/10; 10/17/11 (refining many small details); 2/4/12; 6/22/13

 

>> Additions/ TODO!

 

Introduction

God’s view of worldliness is probably harsher than you thought. Do you claim to love Jesus?  If so, beware of this “woe,” because if you are worldly then God says you’re His enemy! Look closely now at your life in light of these Scriptures and be sure you are hating this world so that you are not disqualified from being counted as a friend of God at the Judgment.

 

Contents

Introduction. 1

1. Background Basis and Definitions. 1

Initial Scriptures. 1

What is Worldliness? (Summary) 2

2. God Condemns Worldliness. 2

The Nations Which Don’t Know God. 2

Don’t Learn their Ways. 2

Don't Imitate. 3

No Partnership Allowed. 3

Unspotted from the World. 3

Don't Love the World. 3

It Makes You “An Enemy of God”. 3

God Repays His Enemies! 3

Worldliness is Demonic and Satanic. 3

Affectionate Love For Jesus. 4

No Holiness, No Heaven. 4

In Most Cases, We Need to Repent of Worldliness. 4

3. A Call to Media Purity. 4

In General: Don’t Indulge in This Life. 4

Specific: No Bad Stuff Before Eyes. 5

Specific: Premarital Romantic Indulgence. 5

4. Repent of Most All Music. 5

Satan’s Music. 6

Music for Entertainment Instead of Prayer and Worship. 6

5. Repent From Worldliness. 7

Get Specific When Repenting. 7

How to deal with Idols. 7

Some thoughts. 7

The Reward of Repentance! 7

 

1. Background Basis and Definitions

 

Initial Scriptures

2Pe_3:7 WEB  But the heavens that now are, and the earth, by the same word have been stored up for fire, being reserved against the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

 

2Pe_3:10-12 WEB  But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will be dissolved with fervent heat, and the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.  11  Therefore since all these things are thus to be destroyed, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy living and godliness,  12  looking for and earnestly desiring the coming of the day of God, by reason of which the heavens being on fire will be dissolved, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?

 

What is Worldliness? (Summary)

Worldliness is imitating the less-than-perfect ways, beliefs, values, philosophies, mindsets, patterns, and behaviors of this condemned human race.

[See: Mat_5:48; 1Pe_1:15-16; 2Co_13:11; Col_1:28; Gen_17:1; Lev_11:44, Lev_19:2, Lev_20:26; Deu_18:13;]

Worldliness is rebelling against God’s plan to redeem mankind from this corrupted and sinful age.

Worldliness is getting trained and discipled by the devil through people who are inbondaged to sin.

Worldliness is being impressed with the human ways that God hates.

Worldliness is enjoying and being entertained by that which dishonors God.

Worldliness is doing what is socially acceptable rather than what is righteously demanded

Worldliness is the lifestyle of giving yourself to the worthless and sinful ways of your natural and fleshly desires, and emotions.

[This is associated with your own personal “soul” (Greek: ψυχικός): 1Co_2:14; 1Co_15:44, 1Co_15:46; Jam_3:15; Jud_1:19]

 

Worldliness is the selfish pursuit of indulging in this life

[compare 1Co_7:31]

 

Worldliness is often a life of sinful pursuits sanctioned and encouraged by our culture.

 

2. God Condemns Worldliness

 

The Nations Which Don’t Know God

1Th_4:3-9 KJB  Because this is the will of God, your holiness, that you should abstain from fornication:  4  That every one of you should know how to possess his own vessel in holiness and honor;  5  Not in the passion of lust just as the nations which don’t know God:  6  That no one go beyond [i.e. the limits] and defraud [or overreach] his brother in any matter: because that the Lord is the avenger of all such, as we also have forewarned you and testified.  7  For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.  8  He therefore that despises, does not despise man, but God, who hath also given unto us His Holy Spirit.  9  But as touching brotherly love…

 

Don’t Learn their Ways

Jer_10:2-3 KJB  Thus says the LORD, “Don’t learn* the ways of the nations… 3 Because the customs of the people are vain…

 

* “μανθανετε (manthánete): “be discipled by”

 

- We can see that God called Israel out of the world, and now He does this with us: 2Co_6:17 (quoted below).

- We see that we must not take cues from the world on how to live

 

Don't Imitate

3Jn_1:11 WEB  Beloved, don't imitate that which is evil, but that which is good. He who does good is of God. He who does evil hasn't seen God.

 

No Partnership Allowed

Eph_5:11 EMTV  And have no partnership [συγκοινωνειτε G4790] with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose [ελεγχετε G1651] them.

 

G4790 συγκοινωνέω

"...to share in company with, that is, co-participate in..." (Strong’s)

> The last part of this word comes from: G2841 “κοινωνέω”: which means to reciprocate or share in common with.

G1651 ἐλέγχω 

In the NT, to convict, to prove one in the wrong and thus to shame him.

 

Unspotted from the World

Jam_1:27  Pure religion2356 and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep5083 himself unspotted from the world.

 

>> Miranda Said:

The word "religion" is  numbered (2356) but there is no explanation and I always wonder what it means as "religion" can have a negative connotation.    "Keep" is also numbered (5083) without an explanation.  

(10/16/11)

 

Don't Love the World

1Jn_2:15-17 WEB  Don't love the world, neither the things that are in the world. If anyone loves the world, the Father's love isn't in him.  16  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, isn't the Father's, but is the world's.  17  The world is passing away with its lusts, but he who does God's will *remains forever [* μένει εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα – lit. abides into forever].

 

It Makes You “An Enemy of God”

Jas_4:4 WEB  You adulterers and adulteresses, don't you know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

 

God Repays His Enemies!

Deu_7:9-10 WEB  Know therefore that Yahweh your God, he is God, the faithful God, who keeps covenant and loving kindness* with them who love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations,  10  and repays those who hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him who hates him, he will repay him to his face.

 

* LXX (Greek): G1656ἔλεος” (éleos) Mercy; MT (Current Hebrew): H2617 “חֶסד” also meaning “kindness, merciful (kindness)… pity,” (Strong’s)

 

Worldliness is Demonic and Satanic

Eph_2:1-3 KJB  you were dead in trespasses and sins;  2  In which you used to walk according to the age of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now works in the children of disobedience:  3  Among whom we also all used to have our lifestyle in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

 

So Why is worldliness wrong?

 

Mat_6:24 - Can’t serve two masters…

 

Affectionate Love For Jesus

1Co_16:22 KJV  If anyone does not affectionately love 5368 [φιλεῖ (Philei)] the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed331

 

>> Miranda Said:

“.....the word "accursed" is numbered  (331)  without an explanation.....Hell?    

....it also might be helpful if you would clarify or define (Philei) love (5369)  for those not knowing different Biblical "loves."   ?”

10/16/11

 

No Holiness, No Heaven

Heb_12:14 KJV  Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord…

 

In Most Cases, We Need to Repent of Worldliness

- Some of you are hypocrites, and you have nothing offered to you but God’s wrath.

- Others of you will acknowledge your guilt and turn to the promise from God offered to you in true repentance.

 

3. A Call to Media Purity

Where are we at in terms of the purity of our media? In most cases, we need to repent to obtain purity in this area of our lives.

 

Worldliness and rebellion always says: “If god did not say it was a sin, then there is nothing wrong with it”

 

Godliness always says: “I only want to do what God tells me to do” (see “Exclusivity” in the “Repent of Words” Bible study, and also see John Summaries: John 5; John 7; John 14)

 

The problem with saying, “there is nothing wrong with it” is that most of the time God does specifically say that our indulgence is sin, but we just don’t read and believe the Bible enough to realize how specific and practical it is to condemn what we irrationally assume is clean. We think we can sanctify anything by simply saying, “there is nothing wrong with it.”

    Many times we assume that the Bible does not prohibit certain things that we take for granted, as though they are certain inherit rights for all those who are able to enjoy them. But though we think it is normal and ok, God fervently stands against the great majority of our indulgence in popular media.

    We can know that there is no inherent sin in shining light in our eyes from a screen, or sound waves in our ears through speakers. In theory, media could be pure, but the media that we use and gluttonize in is already defiled because we addictively use it to function in life contrary to the Scriptures in countless places:

 

In General: Don’t Indulge in This Life

1Co_7:29-31 CAB  But this I say, brothers, the time has been shortened; so that from now on even those having wives should be as though they had none,  30  and those weeping as though not weeping, and those rejoicing as though not rejoicing, and those buying as though not possessing,  31  and those using this world as not using it up. For the form of this world is passing away.

 

1Ti_5:6 WEB  But she who gives herself to pleasure is dead while she lives.

 

Jas_5:5 WEB  You have lived delicately on the earth, and taken your pleasure. You have nourished your hearts as in a day of slaughter.

 

Mat_16:24 WEB  Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone desires to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

 

Luk_6:24-25 WEB  "But woe to you who are rich! For you have received your consolation.   25  Woe to you, you who are full now! For you will be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now! For you will mourn and weep.

 

Though “entertainment” by itself is not wrong per se, our use of it to constantly gratify ourselves, always needing to be entertained and pampered, is definitely a gross and wicked sin. And this sin is the common use in modern christianity. We are not those who mourn and are blessed by Jesus, but those who laugh now, to which Jesus casts His “woe” (Luk_6:25).

 

But even as if this common addiction to media were not enough of a crime for us, beyond this we are content to pour into ourselves the greatest filth with our media that God has explicitly said that He hates and forbids:

 

Specific: No Bad Stuff Before Eyes

Psa_119:37 WEB  Turn my eyes away from looking at worthless things. Revive me in your ways.

 

Psa_101:2  I will behave myself wisely in a perfect8549 way1870 ( includes conversation ). O when will you come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect8537 (Complete.. innocence… integrity) heart. (I walk habitually in the integrity of my heart, In the midst of my house. YLT) 3.  I will set no wicked thing before my eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it will not cleave to me.  4.  A perverse heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person . 5.  Whoever privily slanders his neighbor, him will I cut off: him that has an high look and a proud heart I will not put up with… (KJV-Based)

 

Isa_33:14-17 WEB  The sinners in Zion are afraid; trembling has seized the godless ones: Who among us can dwell with the devouring fire? who among us can dwell with everlasting burning?  15  He who walks righteously, and speaks blamelessly; he who despises the gain of oppressions, who shakes his hands from taking a bribe, who stops his ears from hearing of blood, and shuts his eyes from looking on evil:  16  He shall dwell on high; his place of defense shall be the munitions of rocks; his bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure.  17  Your eyes shall see the king in his beauty…

 

If You Solve Your Boredom By Entertainment, That is Idolatry

4/25/12

>> 

 

I will awaken the dawn

Hunger and thirst after righteousness

Your loving kindess better than life

Knowing God

Conformed to world

Living in pleasures (the harlot thought there was "nothing wrong with it" and assumed that it defaulted to being ok!)

Lord, Lord! - You did your own will

 

Specific: Premarital Romantic Indulgence

See: www.TrueConnection.org/BibleStudies/NoDating_Battle_List.htm

 

4. Repent of Most All Music

It happens that music as a whole is generally one of the greatest idolatries of the modern world, and in many ways, leaving this indulgence becomes one of the very first basic steps of repenting of living in sin to actually follow the real Jesus. I have found that people are generally not even close to becoming a real Christian until they are ready to zealously throw away their old music collection and fervently and bitterly hate what they once loved for so long.

You cannot sing the songs of truth until you have left the music of darkness.

 

Satan’s Music

Just as Satan turned His beauty from pleasing God to pleasing himself, so also he uses music (which was originally designed to worship God) to demonically inspire people today to generate music for the indulgence of sin

 

Eze_28:6-8 CAB Therefore thus says the Lord: Since you have set your heart as the heart of God;  7  because of this, behold, I will bring on you strange plagues… against the beauty of your knowledge,  8  and they shall bring down your beauty to destruction…

 

Eze_28:12 CAB …You were a seal of resemblance, and a crown of beauty.

 

Eze_28:13 a WEB  You were in Eden, the garden of God…

 

Eze_28:13 b CAB …you were adorned with every precious stone — the sardius, topaz, emerald, carbuncle, sapphire, jasper, silver, gold, ligure, agate, amethyst, chrysolite, beryl and onyx…

 

Eze_28:14-15 CAB From the day that you were created you were with the cherub; I set you on the holy mount of God; you were in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 You were faultless in your days, from the day that you were created, until iniquity was found in you. 16 …you have been cast down wounded from the mount of God, and the cherub has brought you out of the midst of the stones of fire. 17 Your heart was lifted up because of your beauty; your knowledge has been corrupted by your beauty: because of the multitude of your sins I have cast you to the ground, I have caused you to be put to open shame before kings.

 

If we ever listen to or sing music, we need to seriously consider the purity of the song writers

While David used prophets to create Divine music (2Ch_29:25-31), we are usually happy to select for ourselves filthy musicians for our own beloved and sinful melodies

 

Mat_12:33-37 CAB "Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or else make the tree rotten and its fruit rotten; for a tree is known by its fruit.  34  Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.  35  A good man out of his good treasure brings forth good things, and an evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth evil things.  36  But I say to you, that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.  37  For by your words you shall be justified, and by your words you shall be condemned."

 

Hymns are included too

A lot of songs, especially hymns, are the sweet song of the harlot, which are sung to lull the hearers into passive complacency and dead religion.

 

Music for Entertainment Instead of Prayer and Worship

 

Psa_137:2-3 CAB  We hung our harps on the willows in the midst of it. 3 For there they that had taken us captive asked of us the words of a song; and they that had carried us away asked a hymn, saying, Sing us one of the songs of Zion.

 

Note:

·         This passage speaks of the Babylonian Captivity (see all of Psa_137:1-9, especially, verses Psa_137:1, Psa_137:3-4, Psa_137:8-9)

·         For the most part, “the songs of Zion” (the Psalms) had been divinely composed much earlier during the reign of David (1Ch_6:31-47; 1Ch_15:15-25, 1Ch_15:27; 1Ch_16:4-7, 1Ch_16:37, 1Ch_16:41-42; 2Ch_29:25-31; and also see 2Sa_23:1)

·         Just as these Babylonians so long ago, it is the filthy perversion of pagans today that still wants to use music for entertainment instead of worshiping God and directing people’s hearts toward faith and truth.

·         We can see from this that it is filthy and sinful to use music for entertainment when God designed it for worship

·         If we will be God’s people, then we, along with God’s people must “hang up” music when it comes to its potential filthy and pagan uses

·         In Psa_137:2-3 it is because of the antagonism of indulgent pagans that God’s people had to hang up their harps in sorrow

·         Why did they hang their harps? “For [Greek: “ὅτι” like saying ‘because’ in this case] there they that had taken us captive asked of us the words of a song…” (Psa_137:3 CAB)

 

5. Repent From Worldliness

Get Specific When Repenting

- TV (media indulgence, As seen previously)

- General Fleshly lustfulness

- Premarital Romantic Indulgence

- Condemnable sins

 

How to deal with Idols

Hoshea Snake Smash: 2KI_18:3-4

Paul Looking at Idols: Act_17:16 (also 22-23)

1Co_10:19-22 – Idol = demon behind

2Pe_2:7-8 – Escape like “Righteous Lot”

 

1Jn_5:21 CAB  Little children, guard yourselves from idols. Amen.

 

Some thoughts

Loving the world means loving the flesh

This would not be so bad except that the flesh and world are counterfeits of “true riches” polluted by sin, so that satan is the master of them. You step into rebellion from God when you serve the demonic realm of this world.

Consider the subtle Greek repetition of the “age” of this world, and the “age” to come in Eph 2

 

The Reward of Repentance!

What’s the Reward and What’s the Hope For Repenting of Worldliness?

 

2Co_6:12-18 CAB 12 …you are restricted by your own affections  14  Do not become unequally yoked with unbelievers; for what participation is there for righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion is there for light with darkness?  15  And what agreement is there for Christ with Belial? [that is, the devil] Or what part is there for a believer with an infidel? [that is, “ἄπιστος” (apistos) - an unbeliever]  16  And what union is there for the temple of God with idols?... 17  Therefore "Come out from the midst of them and be separated," says the Lord. "Do not touch what is unclean, and I will receive you."  18  "I will be a Father to you, and you will be My sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty."

 

(Also: Isa_52:11/ Eze_20:34, Eze_20:41)

 

It is time to be like Job…

 

Job_1:1 WEB  There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job. That man was blameless and upright, and one who feared God, and turned away from evil.

 


 

 

Description: Description: Description: TrueConnection.org – free Bible studies

 

Copyright © Josiahs Scott, All rights reserved (see below)

 

The only reason I put this here is to avoid people misusing this work with bad motives. This is officially copyrighted to protect it from those with money in mind, and to preserve it for free distribution, especially in the unlikely event that someone might think to make money off of it rather than maximizing its distribution. You are permitted and encouraged to freely copy and redistribute this work in its entirety, via standard copy machine or electronic documentation as long as you make no money off of it. If you wish to reproduce this work on any larger scale, please contact me at Josiahs@trueconnection.org. You may also quote this document, by citing the reference as:

 

“[Name of Bible Study]” By Josiahs Scott, www.TrueConnection.org

 

PersonalNotes
************************************************************
Description: Description: Description: Site Meter

Description: Description: Description: unique visitors counter

 

************************************************************

 

 

Additions

 

2/11/13

- no one wakes up and says, "when i grow up i want to be a druggy"

- bad people watch moves where the bad guys loose, and they still become bad guys!

- it is demanded that we do not be like everyone else

 

 

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

---------------

Vain Music

 

1/19/17

 

Exo_32:6 WEB  They rose up early on the next day, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.

Exo_32:6 LB And having risen early on the next day, he offered burnt offerings, and offered a peace offering; and the people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.

Exo_32:6  καὶ ὀρθρίσας τῇ ἐπαύριον ἀνεβίβασεν ὁλοκαυτώματα καὶ προσήνεγκεν θυσίαν σωτηρίου, καὶ ἐκάθισεν ὁ λαὸς φαγεῖν καὶ πιεῖν καὶ ἀνέστησαν παίζειν.

 

Exo_32:19 WEB  It happened, as soon as he came near to the camp, that he saw the calf and the dancing: and Moses' anger grew hot, and he threw the tablets out of his hands, and broke them beneath the mountain.

Exo_32:19 LB And when he drew near to the camp, he saw the calf and the people dancing; and Moses, being very angry, cast the two tablets out of his hands and broke them to pieces under the mountain.

Exo_32:19  καὶ ἡνίκα ἤγγιζεν τῇ παρεμβολῇ, ὁρᾷ τὸν μόσχον καὶ τοὺς χορούς, καὶ ὀργισθεὶς θυμῷ Μωυσῆς ἔρριψεν ἀπὸ τῶν χειρῶν αὐτοῦ τὰς δύο πλάκας καὶ συνέτριψεν αὐτὰς ὑπὸ τὸ ὄρος.

>> Sync: WoW | mbbs

 

 

---------------

2. Many of us are Worldly

 

 

This was made after Embrace Revolution, and has a few updates to the quotations

3.6.08

 

This part may be finished at some point…

 

1. Worldliness Brings Death

 

2. The Corrupted Church is Worldly

A. God has called His Church to be Holy

B. Corrupted Christianity is Worldly

C. The Corrupted Church Needs to Repent

 

 

See “God Condemns Worldliness

Contents

 

Pharisee’s are worldly: “We are Abraham’s children!”

Church people are worldly: “We are christians”

We say, “You don’t have a right to suggest that I could go to hell!”

“Tell us smooth things…”

Compare Church statistics

 

Religious leaders called “the nations,” (and not Israel): Act_4:25

Act_4:1 KJVCNT  And as they spoke unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them,

[then later…]

Act_4:5-6 KJVCNT  And it came to pass on the next day, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes,  6  And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. [Comparable to: “the clergy in the church”]

[then after being threatened by them…]

Act_4:23-25 KJ2000  And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.  24  And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, you are God, who has made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that is in them:  25  Who by the mouth of your servant David has said, Why did the nations rage, and the people imagine vain things?

 

 

Contents

 

Compare what Jesus said to religious people:

“Unless you are converted”

See all the verses about going to hell after being saved

 

Contents